The API 529 Stereo Compressor provides all the sonic qualities we expect from an API compressor by using the legendary 2510 and 2520 op amps with transformer outputs, but now in the convenient dual slot 500 series format.
The 529 functions very similarly to the classic 2500 series compressor, with continuous variable controls for Gain, Threshold, Attack, Ratio, Release, Compression Type, Knee and the patented Thrust circuit. By setting the Make-Up control to AUTO, you can adjust the compression levels to extreme settings without affecting the output level.
Choose between Old or New styles of compression. “Old” provides a smoother sound using feedback style compression, “New” provides a modern “in your face” sound utilizing feedforward style compression circuit.
Take shape of your compression with three different Knee types and Thrust controls. Adjusting the knee will range the compression from smooth to aggressive, the Thrust switch will activate the frequency dependent side chain control.
10 segment LEDs show proper levels for input, output and gain reduction. Switch between monitoring the input or output levels with the METER button. Engaging the OUT switch will activate a True Bypass and remove the 529 from the signal path.
API 529 Stereo Bus Compressor 500 Series Module Features:
- Audio circuit uses 2510 and 2520 Discrete Op Amps with transformer output
- Detented, continuously variable Threshold, Ratio, Gain, Attack, and Release controls
- 10-segment LED meters display Gain Reduction and selectable Input/Output Level
- Over Threshold indicator LED
- Patented Thrust switch for frequency-dependent side chain control
- 3 selectable compression curve Knee settings
- Selectable New/Old switch for modern feed-forward or vintage feed-back operation
- Selectable variable or auto compressor make-up gain
- In/Out with options for compression in/out or hard relay bypass
- Not standalone — requires compatible 500 Series chassis/power supply