Combining a 100% analog signal processing path with fully digital control, the Bettermaker Mastering Limiter offers the best of both worlds. A stereo VCA limiter, the Bettermaker Mastering Limiter’s features include intelligent and manual release, two color modes that introduce a variable mix of different types of saturation, and two stages of adjustable soft and hard clipping.
The 19-inch rack-mounting hardware unit links via USB to your computer (PC/Mac), where you can control and automate its functions using the Bettermaker plug-in (RTAS, 32-bit/64-bit VST, AU), which may be inserted on any bus, exactly like any other plug-in. Any changes you make in the hardware are also reflected in the software and vice versa. Only the parameter setting information is exchanged between the DAW and the Bettermaker Mastering Limiter – you still need to physically connect the unit’s analog inputs and outputs to your A/D and D/A converters.
All your Mastering Limiter settings save with your session in the DAW, including automation moves, and in the hardware unit. You can additionally save, name and instantly recall up to 399 presets.
Two built-in harmonic generators with associated adjustable band pass filters independently add variable levels of even-order (2nd, 4th, 6th, etc.) or odd-order (3rd, 5th, 7th, etc.) harmonics to the dry mix, and may be separately switched on or off. This section allows you to beef-up the low-end with odd-order harmonics while separately adding air to the high-end with even-order coloration, for instance. The unit operates in stereo or M/S (mid-side) mode.
The Bettermaker Mastering Limiter can be controlled using the front panel touchscreen, an intuitive interface that provides access to the control parameters and system settings and displays a variety of level and gain reduction metering options. There are three types of analog-like metering (PPM, two styles of VU, linear dBFS moving coil) plus advanced measurement options including FFT, LUFS, K-metering plus phase and correlation.
The Bettermaker Mastering Limiter has three sections that are essential to make a perfect master. All of them are recallable by the internal memory and a plug-in that also handles automation.
SECTION 1: ANALOG MASTERING LIMITER
- 100% analog signal path
- Intelligent and manual release
- Variable mix between limiting and clipping
- You can turn off the clipping section, so you can clip with your favorite A/D or other device
SECTION 2: COLOR, FOR GIVING THAT SPECIAL FLAVOR TO YOUR MIX
- Two color modules introducing different saturation that can be used simultaneously
- Color 1 with Majority of odd harmonics
- Color 2 with Majority of even harmonics
- Both color sections can be internally EQed so, for example, you can present more odd harmonics in the low end to give the mix more bite and sweeten the highs with the even harmonics at the top end.
SECTION 3: METERING, AN ADDITIONAL SCREEN IN YOUR STUDIO
As it’s a touchscreen it also utilizes control functions of the Mastering Limiter. You can view your gavotte set of stats.
- Input, output and reduction
- VU full-screen or scaled
- LUFS (short-term, integral, loudness range, view in time)
- 31-band FFT analyzer
- Correlation meter
- Two points of measurement – the output of the limiter or the plug-in