The WesAudio ngBusComp is a stereo/dual mono bus compressor with full digital control via its advanced companion plug-in that runs on your Mac or Windows computer. WesAudio based the circuitry on a legendary industry-standard bus compressor that has provided the punch and glue for countless hits over the last four decades, and it also shines as a mastering compressor. Driven by four THAT 2181 VCAs in the signal path (plus one in the sidechain detector), the ngBusComp is a 100% analog device with a massive +24dBu of headroom. Packed with useful features, the WesAudio ngBusComp brings modern innovation to the party with a host of innovative features designed for today’s hybrid studio.
With WesAudio’s ngBusComp you can select your output stage: electronically balanced for a transparent, modern sound; or choose transformer-balanced IRON mode for a beefy, authoritative vintage British console sound. The ngBusComp’s IRON mode uses makeup gain to drive the transformers, and a special output pad (IRON PAD) to attenuate the signal. The IRON PAD is a precise passive attenuator enabled in IRON mode that lets you drive the output transformer to taste for sweet, musical saturation.
Relative channel linking
The Left and Right channels of the ngBusComp can be linked or unlinked at any time. With relative channel linking, you can have different settings on both channels and still manage them in a relative way. You can work on a mid-side mix separately for each channel, but if you want to change the balance of the overall track, simply engage “parameter link” and both channels’ makeup gain will be adjusted relatively, maintaining the same relative volume relationship.
Use it for mastering
The ngBusComp is loaded with features that take it beyond the mix bus and into mastering territory. Left and right channels can be processed independently, in stereo, or mid side. Engaging the Parameter Link button changes any setting tweak you make on both channels by the same amount to keep the sonic character intact. And if you need to add some analog color to you track, the variable THD knob lets you bring in anything from mild to saturated with ease. Three memory settings give you instant access to instant recall of your favorite settings.
100% analog, full digital control
WesAudio, a company masterminded by Radoslaw Wesolowski and headquartered in Poland, spearheaded an initiative they call “ng,” which stands for next-generation. The company’s first ng products were designed around 500 Series modules with a special connector that mates with receiver connectors in the company’s _TITAN NG500 Recall chassis. On its rear panel, the _TITAN is fitted with a USB jack for connection to your computer, as well as Ethernet for networked setups. All ng500-compatible modules in the rack are able to communicate with your computer via a single data cable.
Now, the ng program has been extended to 19" rack equipment like the ngBusComp. The gear — both 500 Series and rackmount — includes free downloadable software that appears in your DAW session as a standard plug-in and lets you control your analog hardware with software precision. Every setting and automation move is saved along with your DAW session file. How cool is that? Engineers at Sweetwater are deeply into the concept: an elegant marriage of hardware and software, designed for modern hybrid analog/digital workflows.
WesAudio ngBusComp Stereo/Dual Mono Bus Compressor Features:
- 100% analog device with +24dBu of headroom
- Full digital control, automation, and recall via companion plug-in
- Relative stereo channel linking with separate L/R settings
- Mid-side operation allows for different side and mid settings
- Selectable output stages: normal (electronically balanced), IRON (Carnhill transformer balanced)
- 4 THAT 2181 VCAs in signal chain and one in sidechain detector for each channel
- IRON mode: uses makeup gain to drive the transformers, and a special output pad attenuate the signal
- IRON PAD: passive attenuator enabled in IRON mode lets you drive the output transformer for musical saturation
- Detailed metering for both channels: gain reduction, input, and output
- Sidechain filters: 3 highpass filters at 60, 90 and 150Hz and 2 Tilt filters with proprietary curve
- Per-channel external side chain filter access via TRS rear connector
- Proprietary THD with precise variable control
- Five ratio settings: 1.5:1 and 2:1 for gentle mix bus processing, 4:1 and 10:1 for general applications, and INF mode for aggressive compression
- Mix knob for parallel compression
- Flexible DAW/Live plug-in control for instant recall and DAW automation of parameters
- Advanced companion plug-in for all DAW formats (VST2/VST3/AU/AAX)
- 4 touch-sensitive encoders per channel for recording automation in DAW
- A/B/C compare feature
- Ethernet and USB connectivity
- Full HUI compatibility